In 1862, Napoleon III created the Museum of national Archaeology, which he installed in the castle of Saint Germain en Laye, old royal residence. Restored in its state Renaissance, by Eugene MILLET from 1862 to 1867, the current castle is presented such as François Ier built it.
Today, the museum preserves one of the archaeological collections richest at the world.
The course museographic recalls 800.000 years of history and makes it possible to follow the evolution of the men and their inventions of Prehistory at the “merovingienne” time. Two millions objects, of which approximately 29.000 exposed, testify thus to the developments in the technologies of manufacture, ways of life, the artistic expression and the symbolic and religious system of the men who met and lived on he French territory.
Château - Place Charles de Gaulle, 78 105 Saint-Germain-en-Laye (Yvelines).
+33 (0) 1 39 10 13 00.
10am-5:15pm. Closed on Tuesdays, on 01.1, on 05.1 and on 12.25.
-18s and -26s (E.U residents) free
. No entry fee on the First Sunday of each month.
Some rooms can be closed. Please apply in advance.
Visits of the Piette’s room under reservation only (phone +33 (0) 1 34 51 65 36).